06 Aug 2022 Annual Award Nominations
The Smith Mountain Lake Association announces the opening of nominations for its two annual awards: the Melvin S. Johnston Citizen Volunteer Award and the SMLA Spirit of the Lake Award. The awards will be presented at the SMLA Annual Meeting, September 29, 2022, held at Trinity Ecumenical Church (40 Lakemount Dr, Moneta, VA 24121) from 5:30 pm to 8:00 pm (program begins at 6:30 pm).
Nomination forms are available by email from the SMLA Office and must be returned to the office by August 31, 2022.
The Melvin S. Johnston Citizen Volunteer Award is named in honor of Melvin Johnston, the founder of the Smith Mountain Lake Association (the SMLBA), real estate broker, land developer, and philanthropist. This award is presented to one or more people who have made the greatest contribution to the quality of life at Smith Mountain Lake either during the prior calendar year or over an extended time period. The winner should demonstrate one or more of the following criteria:
- Made an impact on SML environmental issues
- Made significant improvements to water safety
- Exhibited effective management of lake maintenance issues
- Implemented projects/ programs within the Smith Mountain Lake Association
- Demonstrated leadership
- Exercised lake and/or community stewardship
The SMLA Spirit of the Lake Award recognizes that we are fortunate to be living in these beautiful mountains that surround us and the waters of Smith Mountain Lake. There are many people, groups, businesses and organizations that cumulatively make up the Spirit of the Lake. This award may be presented to one or more nominees. A nominee should routinely demonstrate their Spirit of the Lake in one or more of the following criteria (long-term efforts should enhance the nomination):
- Creating a unique and positive lake business environment.
- Promoting recreational activities for local residents and vacationers.
- Establishing an atmosphere to support community members in times of need.
- Providing opportunities to expand community involvement in individual self-development classes.
- Fostering positive youth development through water-related programs or technical training opportunities.
- Promoting environmental awareness and related programs.
- Supporting outreach with neighboring communities for regional cooperative development.
- Demonstrating exceptional actions as a Steward of the Lake.
The deadline for nominations is August 31, 2022. In order to nominate a candidate for one or both of these two awards, you will need to obtain and fill out a nomination form which is available by emailing the SMLA Office and requesting the appropriate form(s). Return the completed form(s) by email or drop off a printed copy at the SMLA office, 400 Scruggs Rd Suite 2100, Moneta, VA 24121.